Any information about ritual practice is intended as a general overview for the broader Jewish community and there are many differences of opinion within this community. Concerns about specific ritual practices should be directed to your rabbi. Opinions expressed in blog posts and in external links may not represent the opinions of the staff or ownership of Sol Levinson & Bros., Inc.
The Yizkor memorial prayer is recited four times a year at synagogue services, including on the last day of Passover. Practices for length of holiday observance vary between denominations, so please check with your rabbi or synagogue to confirm this information. For those who observe eight days of Passover, the Yizkor service is held on Tuesday, April 2nd. For those who observe seven days of Passover, the service will be on Monday, April 1. A yahrzeit candle is traditionally lit the evening before.
Please see our website for a full calendar of Yizkor dates (based on 8-day observance).
A funeral home with a blog – seems a little strange, no? We think that as you have a chance to read our upcoming posts you will find it very useful. The purpose of this blog is to answer less formal questions about funeral practices, especially Jewish funeral practices. Also, it is a good place for us to highlight available resources that may be helpful for the families we serve, and provide updates on newsworthy events in the community and the funeral industry.
If you have any pressing questions that you have always wanted to ask a funeral director, first check our FAQ on our website or search this blog, and if you don’t see the answer to your question please let us know by sending a comment at the bottom of this page or by submitting an “Ask the Funeral Director” form. We look forward to hearing from you!
Phase Two of our new website will be to enhance your ability to view service details from mobile platforms. The new mobile site will focus on the daily funeral list and allow you to more easily read the details of each individual funeral on your phones.
We know this is something many of you are looking forward to and we expect to have this available in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
We here at Sol Levinson & Bros. are extremely proud to announce the launch of our brand new website (still at sollevinson.com)!
Why would we change our award-winning site? Because we are constantly striving to make every interaction with our organization even better.
The new look still has all of the things you were able to find in the previous layout: our daily funeral schedule, the ability to watch videos of services, cemetery information and more. But we have added some important new features:
- easier navigation with tabs and drop-downs at the top
- a detailed map of cemeteries with contact information for chairpersons and caretakers
- explanations of Jewish funerals
- the Daily Funeral Schedule on the main page
- videos about Sol Levinson & Bros, our relationship with local clergy, and the benefits of planning ahead
- enhanced information on how to Plan Ahead, with a form to fill out to get started
- expanded personal notice pages
- testimonials from families we have served
- easy ways for you to contact us with questions or feedback so we can make sure we continue to earn those testimonials
- and much more, including this blog, which will be updated on a regular basis with articles about our industry as well as details about Jewish funeral customs and more.
Please take some time to look around and acquaint yourself with the new layout and features. There may be some kinks in different versions of browsers, so please let us know. We hope you find some useful information and we look forward to using this forum to provide you with even more!